Interesting Facts about Fleas
Did you know...
Fast Facts about Fleas
50 Fast, Flea Facts! Check out this selection of our favourite quick Flea Facts! How big can fleas get? See our picture!
- Fact.... 1 - Fleas have been used in warfare by the Japanese to spread fleas (dropping them like bombs from planes)
- 2 - The human flea can spread Murine typhus and tapeworm
- 3 - Fleas on your puppy or kitten are a great threat and can cause anemia
- 4 - The Black Rat Flea ('Xenopsylla cheopis') played a big part in transmitting the Black Death plague to humans
- 5 - The common game, tiddlywinks apparently translates as ‘the game of the flea’ in over ten European Countries
- 6 - Garlic and vinegar are both said to repel fleas
- 7 - The female adult is said to be able to produce up to 950 eggs in its lifetime
- 8 - The sand flea is a crustacean but looks like an insect
- 9 - A way to distinguish a flea bite from other insect bites is there will be a single piercing (as opposed to two) for each mark
- 10 - The rabbit flea is more likely to mate when around a pregnant female rabbit or new born bunny
- 11 - Fleas are parasites that feed on the blood of their host
- 12 - There are four stages to a flea’s life cycle - Egg, Larva, Pupa and Adult
- 13 - Fleas range in size from as little as 2mm up to a whopping 1.4cm! See our picture below of a sand flea found in the UK!
- 14 - There are over 2300 different species of flea
- 15 - Fleas have no wings, they jump around
- 16 - Fleas can be both light and dark brown
- 17 - Fleas can jump 150 x their own body length!
- 18 - Most female fleas are large than the male
- 19 - The human flea is mostly found on pigs!
- 20 - Flea populations in the home are usually made up of 5% adult, 10% pupae, 35% larvae, 50% Eggs
Facts about Fleas
- 21 - Fleas can jump 80 x their own body height
- 22 - Fleas can carry diseases such as the plague
- 23 - Fleas can feed off humans and animals
- 24 - Fleas eggs are just about visible to the human eye as small white objects
- 25 - In 2010, many areas around the globe recorded the highest levels of fleas for almost a decade
- 26 - Garlic can make your pets body odor less attractive to fleas
- 27 - Humans could suffer a fever, headache and nausea as a result of flea bites
- 28 - Rabbit Flea is the common name for 'Spilopsyllus cuniculi'
- 29 - During the Egg stage, the Female Adult flea will lay up to 45 eggs a day
- 30 - Many flea products contain harmful chemicals and could be fatally toxic to kittens
- 31 - One natural thing that will help your pets repel fleas is a healthy nutritional diet
- 32 - As the climate plays such a huge part in whether fleas thrive, the warmer areas have a more consistent battle for 12 months of the year
- 33 - A flea trap is a device constructed to attract and kill fleas
- 34 - Scratching flea bites can lead to secondary infections
- 35 - The human flea is the common name for 'Pulex irritans'
- 36 - Flea Larvae look like little worms
- 37 - Fleas are a global pest
- 38 - Fleas are very robust and resilient insects
- 39 - Fleas can carry typhus
PLEASE WATCH OUR VIDEO!
- 40 - The cat flea is the common name for 'Ctenocephalides felis'
- 41 - Calamine lotion (or any other anti-itch cream) is good to apply for the relief of minor skin rashes and irritation as a result of flea bites
- 42 - Homemade flea sprays could comprise of eucalyptus, rosewood, lavender, peppermint, tea tree, cedar, citrus or lemongrass
- 43 - When fleas feed on the blood of our pets, they leave excretions behind them
- 44 - Sand fleas are most active at dusk and dawn
- 45 - Flea drops dissolve into the skin and cover the whole surface of your pet within 24 hours
- 46 - There are a number of plants linked with repelling fleas such as lavender, mint, eucalyptus and rosemary
- 47 - The dog flea and cat flea are probably more likely to be found in your home (if you have pets) rather than the human flea, unless perhaps you’re a pig farmer!
- 48 - Flea Bombs can help eradicate fleas
- 49 - Flea bites are often found in clusters, round the ankles and legs - see our flea bite page for examples!
- 50 - The most common treatments for rabbit fleas are powders, combing and sprays.
Facts about the Flea
- Facts about Fleas
- Learn lots of different Facts about Fleas
- Comprehensive article regarding Facts about Fleas
- Discover facts about the flea season, the life cycle of a flea, Facts about Fleas and symptoms
- Protect your pets with treatment, medication and remedies for fleas on dogs, cats, rabbits, puppies & kittens
- Teach Facts, Study Facts, Enjoy Facts!
- Facts and Information about Flees
| || || || |
Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved | By Luke Styles